Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Opeth part ways with Per Wiberg

Blabbermouth reports that Opeth have parted ways with their keyboardist, Per Wiberg on mutual consent. This is extremely unfortunate and I have reason to believe that Opeth fired him. For what reason, I can't tell.

Per added a new dimension to Opeth's music. His work on Ghost Reveries, especially on tracks like Baying of the Hounds and Grand Conjuration was remarkable and made the album much more beautiful. Not to forget the solo on Burden, from the album Watershed, which is one of my personal favorite works of his. As Mikael Akerfeldt put it once, Per is one of the best metal keyboardist of all time. I am not acquainted with other works of his, but his work with Opeth definitely ranks high up there with the best amongst the limited amount of music I have explored.

I was lucky enough to watch them perform live at Chennai and it was one wild night. The keyboard part on Heir Apparent's intro set the tone for the rest of the show. I just hope that the work he has done with Opeth on the new album, which is due later this year is better than Ghost Reveries and Watershed.

Opeth will never be the same without him. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment