Sunday, November 27, 2011

Amplifier - The Octopus - Review Part I

I don't know where I heard about Amplifier and the album The Octopus, but I decided to check it out once I heard some rave reviews about it. It is supposedly by a 3 member act, but The Octopus sounds like it was created with help from a million musicians. The amount of detail present in the album is similar to that present in some of the master piece works of our times, which have come out after years of writing, recording, sampling and editing. The Octopus is an epic in the truest sense, being a two-disc album, along the lines of Floyd's The Wall. 


Since I haven't had the time to have a go at both the discs together, I'll do a two part review of the album, this being part-I (obviously, duh!).


The disc has full of fantastic moments. The Runner is a cinematic track which provides a brilliant opening for the album. Personally, I felt that the track could have been shorter, but it serves its purpose very well and leaves us waiting to find out what the album has in store for us. Amplifier, the band, as story tellers is what Minion is all about. The punk sounds towards the 3 minute mark, the operatic chorus and the way a frenzy is built towards the end is testimony of their wonderful song writing capabilities.


Heavy metal lovers would love Interglacial Spell. It has elements of heavy metal with heaviness in vocals and a galloping riff. The solo blends perfectly with the mood and the wailing guitars add a beauty, which I'm struggling to put into words. I found resemblances to Tool with The Wave. It's a mix of doom and punk rock and if you thought that would be like oil and water, you are shown that it's something like rum and coke.

The title track is a thing of beauty. That something of this sort could be created step by step has been proved time and again by musicians and Amplifier just show us that they are right there at the top when it comes to such creations. I liked the song a lot more because I found an Opethian influence in the track. Planet of the Insects has a catchy riff. It is not the best song on this album IMHO. White Horses At Sea/Utopian Daydream creates an ideal world with some delicious music, however, they also tell us how painful Utopia is, if you go by the tone of the track.



The album ends with Trading Dark Matter on the Stock Exchange. The lovely mid section and a doom like atmosphere gives an end to a wonderful disc, making you want more in the second disc.


It's one thing to make music. It's another thing to make beautiful music. I think Amplifier have put out a brilliant record, which I'm sure am going to love more with subsequent listens.

1 comment:

  1. Is it just me or do you also get reminded of PT when you are listening to this album? Tool was spot on!

    ReplyDelete